I’ve never been a big fan of New Year’s resolutions. I figure that if you really want to change a pattern of behavior there’s no need to fetishize a particular date? Just start changing. To me picking a resolution start date is a bit like stepping on the dance floor and then choosing a particular second for that first lame-assed downward thrusting cross-body hand stab with the hip wiggle shimmy. But I digress.
Seriously, I feel any time is a good time to change behaviors you are unhappy with. But at the start of our first calendar year in Ireland, there are a few things I’d like to change about Ireland and me, but mostly about me.
Don’t worry, I’m not launching into another Five Things I Hate About Ireland post. While some of those things still grate, after six months of living in Dublin I’ve learned to live with the ones I can’t fix. The larger, deeper issues about life in Ireland are things that will take much more time for me to grow accustomed to. And, as a recent immigrant I can’t (and shouldn’t) expect the country and city to come to me. The newbie must rise to meet his new home.
With this in mind, over the coming year, these are a few of the ways that I hope to reach out to Ireland:
- Make more Irish friends and contacts – Try to foster more friendships with locals, and deepen my existing friendships with folks other than expats.
- Explore Ireland on foot – Now that I’ve found a reliable outlet for my orthopedic lifts, I’d like to see more of the remarkable Irish countryside on foot. There are lots of walking and hiking trails, and I’d like to take advantage of them while I’m still young enough to hobble down a trail.
- Get to know the waterways of Ireland – I’ve been here six months and still haven’t gone sailing. Enough said.
- Eat more fish – It’s Ireland. The fish is great
- Read More Irish Writers – I wrote about this a while back. I am a miserably slow reader, but it’s time to take the library card by the horns….
Let’s be clear. These are not resolutions, because I don’t do resolutions. They are simply a list of things I’d like to do in the next year to get to know my new home better. I just happened to put the list together right around the start of the New Year.
Mutter….mutter…don’t do resolutions…mutter…mutter
Things to look forward to in upcoming posts:
Taxes in Two Places.